Obesity is a serious, chronic disease that can have adversely affect several body functions. People who are overweight or obese usually are at a greater risk of developing serious conditions such as heart disease, Type-2 diabetes, and bone and joint disease. If you too are are experiencing obesity and want to break through weight loss barriers without surgery, Orbera (Fluid-Filled) Gastric balloon surgery can be a possible way out. One of the many advantages of the Orbera gastric balloon is that, compared to other forms of gastric surgeries, more people qualify for the procedure, and that’s when they need the Orbera surgery experts at DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery.
What is an Orbera Gastric Balloon?
Orbera Gastric balloon is a non-surgical weight loss treatment recommended especially for those individuals who are unable to lose weight with diet and exercise and have body mass index in the range of 30 to 40. During the gastric balloon procedure, a fluid filled balloon is inserted inside the stomach, which limits the person’s food intake capacity and makes them feel full sooner. It is a temporary procedure and the balloon is removed after a period of 6 months.
Candidates for Orbera Gastric Balloon
- Adults over 22 years
- Body Mass Index (BMI) is 30 – 40 kg/m2
- No prior Bariatric Surgery or Bowel/Stomach Problems
- Willing to participate in a medically supervised program
- If not comfortable with other forms of weight loss surgery
- Tried and failed at diet and exercise
- Ready to commit to a lifestyle change
- Ready to undergo balloon removal after six months
- Do not have a complicated medical history such as acid reflux, severe hernias, or stomach ulcers
If you think you are right for Orbera Gastric Balloon and want to reduce 30 plus pounds, speak with an expert at DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery to evaluate the benefits and possible risks.
Orbera Gastric Balloon Contradictions
Orbera gastric balloon is not a good option for:
- People who are unable to undergo endoscopy due to some medical reasons.
- Individuals who had undergone any gastrointestinal surgery.
- Individuals with an inflammatory disease of the gastrointestinal tract or other congenital anomalies.
- People with a large hiatal hernia or other structural abnormality in the esophagus or larynx.
- Women who are pregnant or planning to conceive within the next six months.
The placement of Orbera Gastric Balloon into the stomach is a simple, non-surgical outpatient procedure. First, a diagnostic test is done to make sure that there are no complications and it is safe to perform the procedure. After the diagnosis, the deflated gastric balloon is inserted through the esophagus into the stomach. Once it is placed in a proper position, the balloon is inflated with saline and a dye, or gas to maintain the required size. The procedure takes about 15 minutes to complete. The balloon is temporarily left in the stomach for about 6 months.
After the procedure, you may experience some cramps and nausea, as your stomach would adjust to the balloon. Moreover, your throat may also feel a little sore. You need to follow a liquid or soft diet for a few weeks. This is followed by 6 months of supervised diet, suggested by a team of nutritionists and weight loss physicians at DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery.
Risks & Complications
As with any other procedure, Gastric balloon procedure involves certain risks and complications:
- Esophageal, gastric ulcers or perforation.
- Deflation of the balloon which can lead to blockage.
- Rupture of balloon dye (if used), which will be released in the urine.
Want to Lose Weight? Contact DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery!
If you are planning to lose weight to live a healthy lifestyle, the experts at DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery, Dallas can help. Our weight loss physicians take the time to find out the main reasons for your weight gain and provide comprehensive assistance at every stage of your weight loss journey. For more information on Orbera Gastric Balloon Surgery in the Dallas Fort-Worth areas, simply call 469-620-0222 or write to us at email@example.com.