What is a Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band?
Candidates for Lap-Band Surgery
Gastric banding surgery is appropriate for individuals who:
- Have a BMI of at least 40.
- Have a BMI of at least 30, and suffer from at least one serious obesity-related health concern.
- Are 18 years old or older.
- Tried but failed at diet and exercise.
- Do not have any other health problem that causes excess weight gain.
- Are prepared to make substantial lifestyle changes.
- Do not consume alcohol in excess.
If you think you are right for Lap-Band Surgery and want to reduce weight, speak with an expert at DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery to evaluate the benefits and possible risks.
Lap-Band Surgery Contraindications
- Gastrointestinal or inflammatory diseases such as esophagitis, ulcers, and Crohn’s disease
- Hernias, protrusion of a body organ
- Severe heart, lung or liver diseases
- History of autoimmune diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus
- Presence of Infection
- Under the age of 18
- Alcohol or drug addiction
- Chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas)
Lap Band is performed under general anesthesia and takes about 45 minutes. The procedure involves making 3 to 5 small incisions of about 1 inch. During the procedure, a small camera is placed into one of the incisions. Other incisions allow insertion of surgical instruments to appropriately place the band. The gastric band is placed around the upper part of the stomach and set into position with a suture thread. The port is then placed in the wall of the abdomen and sutured in place.
Risks & Complications
As with any other procedure, Lap Band Surgery also has certain risks and complications:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Ulcer at the band
- Esophageal reflux (indigestion)
- Possibility of the band slipping or eroding into the stomach
- Infection, Bleeding, Abdominal pain
Looking for Lap Band Surgery in Dallas?
Contact DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery!
If you wish to learn more about gastric banding or have your band adjusted, Dr. Sachin Kukreja, Dr. Elizabeth Hooper, and Dr. Barr and the team at DFW Bariatrics and General Surgery can help. Our doctors provide comprehensive assistance at every stage of your weight loss journey. For more information on Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding in the Dallas Fort-Worth area, simply call 469-620-0222 or fill out our online appointment form and we will take it from there.